Today, DailyCandy featured a Babycakes recipe in its Daily Candy New York daily e-mail. Thanks to Caitlin and Ariel for forwarding this along to me!
DailyCandy is a great site that offers daily updates about local parties, restaurant openings, gallery openings, etc. in your city. I subscribe to the L.A. version and it keeps me in the know as to what is going on in this crazy city around me.
Below is the recipe.
Enjoy! And don't forget that the Babycakes cookbook is available through Amazon here.
- - -
2/3 c. rice milk
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
½ c. rice flour
¾ c. Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
1½ tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
½ c. coconut oil
¾ c. agave nectar
1/3 c. applesauce
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp. lemon zest
2 tbsp. pure lemon extract
½ c. raspberry preserves
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly oil a 7-by-4-by-3-inch loaf pan.
2. Pour the rice milk and vinegar into a small bowl; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
3. Add oil, agave nectar, applesauce, vanilla, zest, and lemon extract to dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth. Add milk/vinegar combo and combine just until blended.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Swirl raspberry preserves through batter and bake on the center rack for 35 minutes, rotating the pan 180° after 18 minutes. The teacake will be golden brown and springy, and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
5. Let the teacake stand in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting onto cake stand. Serve warm with preserves on top.